With reports of a heavy storm affecting regions south and east of Calgary, from High River to Brooks, the Allstate Canada Good Hands Advice team has provided some recommendations to help customers that might have been affected.
Since each person’s situation may be different, in all cases we recommend the following:
- Take photos and document all damage to your vehicle or property.
- Mitigate additional damage as best as possible. If it’s safe, remove any debris and keep the area safe for yourself and other residents.
- Contact your insurance provider to submit a claim, providing them with details on the date and time of loss, a list of damaged items and (if possible) photos or videos of the damage.
- Remain safe. Do not risk your health or safety when assessing damage.
If You’ve Been Impacted by Heavy Rain
- Keep Out of Standing Water. Hazards from floating debris, sewer contamination, live electrical wires and slippery surfaces can make wading in seeped waters extremely dangerous.
- Keep the Power Off. If your main electrical service panel is accessible without entering a basement or lower level that is submerged, turn off power to that area. If your panel is not accessible, contact your electrical company to shut off the power.
If You’ve Been Impacted by Hail or Heavy Winds
When conditions are safe:
- Inspect your Home for Damage. Window damage is usually the most easily identifiable. Inspect your windows for cracked glass and broken seals. Take a walk around the exterior of your home to see if you can identify any damage at eye level.
- Stay away from hazards. If you smell gas or notice a fallen or broken power line, remove yourself from danger and contact the appropriate emergency response or professional service team to manage the situation.
- Seal off Exposed Areas. If safe to do so, seal off any exposed areas (i.e. board up windows) to help prevent any further damage.
If you are an Allstate policy holder within the impacted areas, our Claims team remains ready to support you. They can be reached toll free at 1-800-661-1577. Alternatively, if you’re registered for myAllstate, you can submit a claim online.
Disclaimer: This information has been provided for your convenience only and should not be construed as providing legal or insurance advice.