Summer is one of my favourite seasons. The sun, warmth, and extended daylight hours all contribute to my positive spirits in the summer. While too much sun can be harmful to your skin, having the right balance (plus sunscreen ) can lift your mood. While it is an exciting season with many activities available, the options can get overwhelming. So how do we start? To help narrow it down, here are 10 ideas for your summer bucket list to make sure you enjoy every minute of the warm weather.
- Fly a kite. This is a great outdoor activity for both you and your family. First, pick up a fun, colourful kite from your local sporting goods store. Then look for a safe, open space (away from trees and hydro lines) such as a beach, or park and make sure it’s windy enough for the kite to fly. The nice breeze will cool you after a fun afternoon of running around.
- Make an ice cream cake. In Canada , we get hot summer days, especially with the humidity. Of course, eating cold foods will help you cool off – and what makes the perfect treat? Ice cream cake! Find a recipe online and use your favourite ice cream flavour(s) to make the cake. Don’t forget the toppings! I like to sprinkle cookie crumbs all over the top.
- Visit an amusement or water park. Amusement and water parks are great places for the whole family. The adrenaline rush from rollercoasters and waterslides are great ways of letting off steam. If you don’t like crowded places, you can always have a water balloon fight in your own backyard or at an open park! In fact, water balloon fights were one of my favourite summer activities with friends during my elementary school days.
- Go to an outdoor event. There are plenty of outdoor festivals and events to attend across the country . You can find everything from food fests to music fests and everything in between. Enjoy the sun, discover local talents, and get those steps in!
- Organize a picnic. Picnicking is a fun way to enjoy any meal of the day. It’s entertaining and changes things up from your usual kitchen table. With the warmer weather, take the time to sit outside and enjoy a meal in the fresh air. Some parks have designated outdoor grills that are available to the public. Make sure to look up the rules and guidelines before using them.
- Go fishing. If you haven’t gone fishing before, make it a goal to try it at least once this summer! Not only is it a relaxing activity, you’ll also get to enjoy the beautiful natural landscapes, especially the ones we have right here in Quebec . If you don`t know the first thing about fishing, but are interested, then why not sign up for a lesson? And who knows… you might catch your next dinner.
- Host a BBQ party. Fire up the grill and gather your friends and family for an unforgettable afternoon. BBQ parties are a great way to relax and spend quality time with your loved ones, while enjoying delicious food. Don’t forget to review our BBQ safety and food grilling tips for some quick reminders!
- Go camping. What’s better than nature, a bonfire, and s’mores? Not much! Escape your professional obligations and the beat of the city for a few days with a camping trip. Hit the road, get some fresh air, and take in the beauty of nature.
- Start a vegetable garden. Food you grow yourself always tastes better! The gardening season only lasts a short period, so pick up your favourite vegetable seeds at a local garden centre and get gardening! Ask the employees for tips and tricks on how to plant the seeds and care for your garden. Don’t forget your gardening tools! Gardening will be a fun experience and you’ll get to enjoy the summer sun while munching on veggies from your very own garden.
- Relax! Sometimes, it’s not about going on a big trip or planning extravagant activities. Life is about being happy and doing what we really want to do. Take the time to refocus, enjoy the little things, and re-energize. Read a book, catch up on a show, and eat at that new restaurant you never got around to checking out before.
There are many things you can do to have fun and enjoy summer to the fullest, but by working these ideas into your bucket list, you’ll have an unforgettable season. Always stay safe and most importantly, enjoy every minute of the warm weather.
What’s on your summer bucket list?